I got asked for this recipe, and I really think that every single one of you (who eats shellfish and other animals) should make this, like, right now - so - here it is.
It’s modified from a recipe in the magazine Cooking Light “Favorite Comfort Food Recipes”, January 6, 2012. And every time I make it, I think of more modifications - this last time I figured out I should make a broth using the shrimp shells. And now as I’ve just gone through it, I think this could probably be delicious with some lemon squirted on it after it’s plated. Anyway - this is the serious bomb.
The recipe says it yields 4 servings, but I think it’s more like 6 or 7.
Serve over grits.
SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO
- Shells from the shrimp, reserved
- 1 C water
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp AP flour
- 1 C shrimp broth
- 1 C chopped onion
- 2 andouille sausages (@ 6 or 7 ozs)
- 2/3 cup celery sliced 1/4” on the diagonal
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb fresh okra pods, sliced 1/4”
- 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp ground red pepper (I recommend pasilla, but any will do)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (I use fire-roasted)
- 1 lb peeled, deveined large shrimp (pink, not farmed is best)(don’t buy pre-cooked!!!)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Boil shrimp shells in 1 C water for at least 20 mins, up to 30. You’ll need this broth at the end of step 2, so start this early, and chop all your veggies and stuff while it’s boiling.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the largest pan you have (this is the pan you’ll use through all stages, and it needs to accommodate the entire meal). Add flour and whisk around for at least 5 mins, up to 10, until browned slightly and the flour is cooked (raw flour taste is so gross). Add broth and continue to stir until smoothly incorporated and the sauce is thick. Pour into a bowl and set aside. Wipe pan out with paper towel.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and sausage and cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients (through okra); cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp broth sauce, water, and next 6 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10-20 mins, just until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until done, flipping them half-way.
- Serve over grits and sprinkle with parsley. Maybe squeeze some lemon on there.
this is so freaking tantalizing!!!!